As most of you know here at the lodge we serve a lot of potato salad especially with steaming hot gumbo. It’s always fun to watch the hunters at the lunch table. You can tell the real Cajuns right away. They put their potato salad right in the bowl with their gumbo and rice. Come take a look for yourself and you can tell your friends they shoulda been here yesterday.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chapped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Creole style mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped parsley
- 4 bacon slices, cooked crisp
In a medium saucepan, cook potatoes in salted water until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from pan and dice. Place in a medium bowl and add tomatoes green onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl combine vinegar, mustard and cayenne pepper. Add oil in a thin stream, heating constantly. Stir in parsley. Add dressing and bacon to potatoes and toss gently. Allow potatoes to absorb dressing at least 15 minutes before serving.